In Search of the Best Litter Box For Multiple Cats
Have you been searching for the best litter box for multiple cats? Well, look no further as I take you down to my personal reviews of five of the top litter boxes that are available on the market today. If you intend to adopt more cats anytime soon, then this guide would be a perfect place to begin your search.
Let me begin by discussing the different factors that you need to take into account when purchasing an effective litter box for your feline friends. The truth is – there are so many litter boxes you can find, but you need to know how to spot the right one that your cats will surely love and that you will appreciate as well.
** Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see the current prices or read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Top Five Criteria To Consider When Checking Litter Boxes for Multiple Cats
1. Your Litter Boxes Should Provide Your Cats with Their Own Space and Privacy
Giving your cats privacy and their own space is paramount as they are not considered as ‘pack’ animals. Even if your cats are ‘siblings’ and come from the same litter, keep in mind that they prefer doing some activities on their own.
Aggression in cats happens if they do not have their own space. This means that when checking for litter boxes, think about how you can separate their resources. This would reduce competition among the household cats. Just like with their beds and food bowls, the litter boxes should be separate as well.
With this in mind, the number of litter boxes should be dependent on the number of cats you have. Ideally, your cat litter box should be the same number as your cats. Adding an extra litter box is also recommended. Therefore, when finding a litter box, see if they can accommodate the number of your cats and that are spacious enough to give them their own privacy.
2. Your Litter Box Should Come with Streamlined Design and Sturdy Construction
If you intend to place your multiple cat litter boxes sides by side, it is better to find something that has its separate hood or cover and its own entry way. This is to discourage multiple cats from entering the same litter box.
In addition, cats are territorial by nature. If you have been using a single litter box to house all your cats, the alpha cat may have the tendency to block the beta cats from entering the box. This is why having their own entry way is crucial for them.
Another consideration is the durability and the leak-proof construction. The litter box of your choice should be meticulously designed so that it would remain water-proof and leak-proof. The least you would want to exert extra effort to clean up the sides and the outside of the litter box and have your floor finishing ruined.
The entire box should also be well-built. You may have a playful who loves to move around, and you do not want the litter box to easily break. Moreover, purchasing a durable litter box that could literally last for years is inevitably economical. This is always a BIG PLUS for many owners.
3. Your Cat Litter Should Be Easy to Clean
Even if you have to do it manually, your cat litter box should not require complex cleaning method. For instance, the components should be easy to detach. If it comes with a cover or a lid, it should come off easily. Consider purchasing a litter box that does not come with multiple accessories.
Setting it up or doing the post-cleaning assembly should be done with ease as well. This is important as you do not want to leave your cats without their litter boxes set up for a long time. Otherwise, they might be prompted to urinate or defecate on your furniture at home.
4. Your Cat Litter Box Should Come with an Odor Blocking Mechanism
Nobody wants to wake up with the smell of animal feces reeking from the litter box. If you come from a multi-cat household, expect that you would deal with the problem on odor. This happens if you do not use a pet litter box that comes with an odor blocking technology and antimicrobial feature.
An odor-blocking feature would not only reduce the unpleasant smell inside the house but would also protect both your cats and yourself from the ammonia gasses. Note that ammonia fumes can be produced when there is the accumulation of feces and urine in the litter box.
Overexposure to ammonia may cause headaches and queasiness. Furthermore, if you or anyone in your family has been exposed to ammonia, you could be at risk to respiratory problems. This is also a problem for people with weak immune system. Therefore, always check whether your cat litter box can truly neutralize foul odor.
5. If Money is Out of Equation, Then Check the Self-Cleaning Automatic Litter Boxes
A self-cleaning automatic cat litter box can be a good option if you have a few hundred bucks to spare. For one, this would drastically reduce the time you need for scooping soiled litters and cleaning the box itself as it is done regularly and automatically. This is particularly helpful if you are caring for multiple cats.
Other benefits include the inclusion of an odor-controlling technology. Other self-cleaning litter boxes also require washable granules which also cut down the need to purchase the new batch of granules often. Moreover, you need not worry about leaving your multiple cats at home if you need to be away for the weekend. You know that the litters will be cleaned and sifted automatically.
Although it is true that purchasing automatic litter boxes may have its own disadvantages, it is certain that the benefits far outweighs the downside. If you wish to learn more about this, go ahead and check my post about this topic in this blog.
Five of the Best Cat Litter Boxes for Multi-Cat Household
Simple and straightforward – these are just two of the descriptions you would instantly see in the Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box. The simplicity comes in the design where a transparent hood allows you to see your cat do his or her business. It also provides ample privacy for your cat.
Setting this up is a breeze. You just simply have to detach or re-attach the four clips when you need to remove the cover for easy cleaning. The clips securely attach the lid. Your pets would just love to use the clean litter box all the time.
The Good Side
- I particularly liked how the cover and the odor-blocking technology work. You would never be bothered by the foul odor again.
- Each cat can simply get in and get out with no problem with the wide entrance without the hood getting removed
- You would appreciate how roomy it is and your cat can even move around inside
- One litter box could accommodate two cats
- The color choices are a big plus for someone who appreciates fun items for my feline pets
The Bad Side
- If you are not a big fan of an all-plastic construction, then this might not be for you as you might find it a flimsy
- The opening is ideal for medium or small-sized cats
Ideal for multi-cat household, the Hagen CatIt Hooded Litter Box is one of the most spacious you would find on the market. It can accommodate large-sized cats and still give them sufficient space to turn around without hitting the sides of the box and do their business inside the box. At first glance, you would appreciate how modern each litter box looks.
The Good Side
- Scooping is made easy as the litter box comes with built-in anchor that keeps the bag open and in place
- You would appreciate how the odor is controlled by the carbon-filled filter which effectively traps the odor and neutralizes it
- The cover stays in place even when your cat tends to be playful
- It could accommodate one big cat or two small cats at the same time
The Bad Side
- Purchasing several carbon filters is a must, so it becomes quite costly in the long run
- Some of the soiled litter gets stuck at the bottom and corner of the container and it becomes difficult to clean
- The carbon filter sometimes gets out of place and ends up crumpled
If you dread the idea of cleaning, Nature’s Miracle Advanced Corner Hooded Cat Litter Box can help you with this. It is built with an advanced plastic technology which prevents dust and the soiled litters from sticking to the surface of the plastic.
The Good Side
- The corner design could enable you to save space even this litter box is big enough for two cats
- As you could put in one corner, it does not obstruct hallways or areas of heavy traffic
- You would love the sleek design especially if you want something more modern-looking
- I particularly appreciated how it is unnecessary to remove the cover to get the scooping done.
- Since the cover stays in place when scooping, it could reduce your exposure to dust
The Bad Side
- If you need two cat litter boxes, you would not be able to place them side by side
- It does not come with a hook where you could place the scoop
- The carbon filter requires frequent replacement, so this could cost you extra
You need not worry about getting a separate scooper and tarp liner with the Flip Litter Box Kit as everything else in including. The large base prevents any leak especially if your feline friend pees tremendously.
The Good Side
- The lid could be positioned in 3 different ways and you could which one to apply depending on your cat’s behavior.
- The lid can be fully opened easily for ease of cleaning purpose
- You could instantly attach the reusable tarp liner and install it onto the top-mounted lead
- The manufacturer offers full refund within the first 30 days if you are not satisfied with it
The Bad Side
- The size is not spacious enough to accommodate two full-sized cats
- The tarp sometimes gets warped by a hyperactive act
This is one of the self-cleaning automated cat litter boxes that can accommodate two per unit. What makes this unique is that the granules used are washable. So, even if you spend more on purchasing the unit, you get to save as well as there is no need to purchase litter pebbles often.
The Good Side
- You can simply install this in your bathroom so you will have access to cold water immediately
- No need to worry if you need to be away for the weekend as this is cleaned automatically
- It does not emit foul odor as the litter is washed and sanitized regularly
The Bad Side
- The cleaning cycle takes about 40 minutes and this could be tough for your cats not to be able to access it when they need to urinate or defecate
- It could be costly if you have more than two cats
The Final Verdict
These five cat litter boxes all possess the advantages that every cat lover would immediately appreciate. However, there is one that truly stands out among all five of them. I personally appreciate the Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box and I intend to purchase more to accommodate my growing family of cats.
This particular model satisfies four out of the five criteria discussed above. The simplicity of the design and the visual appeal are the two factors that captured my attention. I could purchase multiple of them and place them side by side without worrying how they might look in one of the rooms of the house.
On the other hand, if I intend to stick to only one cat, I would probably consider a cat litter box that comes with a self-cleaning mechanism. I hope that this review has been particularly helpful to you. Let me know what you think and shoot me some questions if you wish.